After spending 6 months in a long distance relationship, I’ve learnt a thing or two about how they work and how to approach them. Through my experimentation I’ve found it best if you treat them like a snake. They can be wickedly dangerous if you are aggressive towards them, or they simply lounge around your neck and shoulders, the picture of calm, until they snap and strangle you to death.
On that happy note, I want to explore 10 realities of long distance relationships I wish I had been privy to 6 months ago.
10. You will spend a lot of money on stamps. And the lady at your local post office will remember your name and yes it will be embarrassing.
9. You will suddenly have a gaping hole in your social life that can be filled with fantastic new hobbies to improve your life. I suggest baking, bocce or learning Danish.
8. Skype is the greatest invention ever created (even topping sliced bread) and if I ever meet the person who launched this amazingness, they will be getting a massive hug.
7. You will hear a lot about places you have never been to, people you haven’t met and things you haven’t seen. Best to just nod and pretend like you know what they are on about.
6. Get used to attending all of your social engagements as the third wheel. Or fifth wheel. Or god forbid seventh wheel (seriously wouldn’t recommend it)
5. You will actually eat better and get your butt to the gym without the lure of the warm arms and sexy voice coming from the bed “Ugh don’t go workout, it’s Sunday morning! Let’s stay in and have bacon and maple syrup!”. Your hips will thank you.
4. Prepare your “I’m really ok face” for the dozens of times a day you will be asked how you are “coping” with the long distance. It is sweet they show interest and care about your feelings but come one we don’t have leprosy.
3. You will collect enough frequent flyers to get to the moon and back. And the lady at the airport Cibo remembers you every time. And yes it is embarrassing.
2. You can’t watch a whole TV series together over a weekend but can watch it simultaneously and call each other after something dramatic happens (OMG he threw Zoe in front of a train! House of Cards spoiler alert!)
1. Some mornings it is easy and you feel proud for committing to this task. Some mornings you want to crawl under the bed and never come out again. But each day you remind yourself why you are doing it and hopefully of the moment when you can be together in the same state/town/room once more.
Are you going through long distance at the moment? Do you have another reality you would like to add to the list?
Much love and till later